Gypsies, Tramps & Thieves

Monday, September 18, 2006

R.I.P. Alarm clock

I plugged in my electric shaver with the Euro adaptor, and it seems to have worked well. And even my ipod, although it became a little hot. But after carrying my alarm clock thousands and thousands of miles, having it take up space in my luggage (approximately the size of a pair of shoes, maybe my Diesels), this morning the clock bit the dust. Around 8 am, as I read my book, listenig to my recently plugged in Radio Alarm clock, a loud POP almost made me fall out of my seat. Burnt wire smell. Smoke pluming. You see, I have an adaptor to lower the voltage from European 220 to American 110, but the adaptor doesn't fit into the hotel outlet--hard to explain why, but it doesn't. The song playing when it fried was "California Rest in Peace" by the Red Hot Chilli Peppers.

Yesterday, I walked all over Prague--through every square, in a huge Cathedral, across Charles bridge, up all the way to Prague Castle, where two Czech soldiers stand guard, stone-faced like you see the British guards on postcards. Like Rome, it is said that Prague was built on seven hills. But there's something the legend leaves out that my legs will fill in: they were steep, steep hills. My feet and legs were hurting, tired, ready for a break by the time I reached the top. So I had a beer inside the castle walls, cost short of five bucks--but could you have a beer on Capital Hill, not for a hundred dollars. I think it was worth it. Besides, with the news my Rodeo sold, I deserved a celebration (plus I have the money to celebrate).

1 Comments:

  • Hello there Garrett,
    I figured I would have to let you know that we are all reading your blog now. Cara and I, and her family ran across your parents and Dave at the Oktoberfest yesterday and told us about your blog. Anyway, hope you are having a ton of fun. I'll probably email your or something

    By Blogger leachja, at 11:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home