Gypsies, Tramps & Thieves

Thursday, September 21, 2006

Czech-inn Hostel

Yesterday I went to lunch with James and his colleagues, one German, one Czech, two Americans (Californians). They clued me in on Czech food, tipping, and other useful insider knowledge. I had the czech equivalent of biscuits and gravy, meat with sauce and four pieces of round bread with no crust.

After I left there, I went directly to the cell phone/pawn shop store, which James had drawn directions to. A strange place, a cell phone pawn shop. Hundreds of used phones in cases, and new ones, too. The consumer in me wanted a new, sliding, crome (shiny) samsung. With great restraint, though, I settled on a Sony Ericson, not unlike my own, except tri-band (US phones run on different frequences). It has black jack on it, however, though they call it Black Deal. The phone works, supposedly I can receive text messages from you all at home (dial a 00420 for the Czech code in front of the number), and it only cost me 1750 kc! I'm ashamed to say this, but with a cell phone back in my pocket I feel whole (that's suppose to be read ironically, but not really).

At the hostel, I met a Canadian whose running in the Berlin marathon today. I guess the marathon--along with one in Paris and Chicago--is suppose to be great for fast times. He introduced me to an American girl, very fun, outgoing, a nurse, who then introduced me to three of her friends, one Aussie, one from South America, and another from DC. We went to dinner, had drinks. The girls were a little tired and slow; they'd each had at least two shots of absinthe the night before. (sorry by the way if my email lacks much pinazz; I'm a little tired and slow myself today). We made our way back to the hostel, which has a bar, and continued the festivities. It eventually got late, and one by one the five of us started to call it a night. First the South A, who had to catch a plane back home in the morning. Oh, if you've never stayed in hostel there's something I have to feel you in on: in mere moments, and I don't know why it is, you become best friends with whomever you're hanging out with--something in the nomadic lay down and pick of backpacking, or an unconcious longing for true friendship, something anways. And it is actually very funny, because your conscious of the sponiety of this friendship, years of actual experience with your bestfriends supplimented by this common experience of backpacking. So enough of that--sorry, I've been reading pyschology journals and the antrhopologic prose has worn off.

Back to the farewells. First the South A., with her hug and peck, very European. then the american nurse, a straight forward american hug, arms around the neck, no peck. And then the aussie, who inlcuded a peck, but I'm not so sure if that's an aussie custom, or if she was just add-living that last bit.

I have a meeting with my employer tomorrow. I've learned more of my teaching responsibilities. I'll have a class of 10, only conversation, no grammar, unless the student
ask for help. But I devise the whole lesson plan myself.

Okay, Im goig to bed. Night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home