Where I lay my head
By others suggestion, I will now tell you where I stay. And may I also suggest reading anything by Jorge Luis Borges (Brandon Leach, if you read this, check him out, especially An Old Man with Wings, and think of his surrealism and philosophy as a visual with narration: I present to you the "Graphic Short Story").
By chance, I chose the Czech-Inn Hostel over Sir Toby's Hostel, only because I couldn't find the latter on the net. Black Deal! (that's a inside joke, use past posts for reference). The hostel is possibly the nicest I've ever stayed in: sandwiches and soup at the bar, along with what the bar does best, internet, great staff--young and friendly--and many hostelers to hang with. It's bran-new. Everything's very chic, smooth lines, not many colors other than white, and funky art work on the wall, one titled "Stag Beetle Never Feels Alone," another "Pig in Fog." And they're very geometrical; you can make out the animal but where they detect the feelings or the fog is anyone's guess. (Did you know in British English you put the period outside qoutations, inside in American English). I'm staying in a ten person room, 9 roommates coming and going through the night. But it's not too bad, and mostly everyone is respectful. Two Brits, however, were the exception. My first night I woke to what I thought were a girl and a guy brit about to...you know. I keep hearing this, "no, really love, get down (they're in the top bunk) and grab the condom, please, really..." At first I was dimly aware of them in the room, but as I came to I realized she wasn't saying "condom" but "ipod". That was a relief. They continued talking, though, and the girl had the most annoying accent, very high pitched and nasaly, southern England I think. I have this theory: in London, they have the Hugh Grant accent; as you travel north, it becomes more and more Shaun Connery; but as you go south, that's where the drum-bleeding winy accent calls home.
Everyone here says its the best hostel they've ever been to. So that's where I'm staying. Still looking for an apartment. Not much luck so far.
By chance, I chose the Czech-Inn Hostel over Sir Toby's Hostel, only because I couldn't find the latter on the net. Black Deal! (that's a inside joke, use past posts for reference). The hostel is possibly the nicest I've ever stayed in: sandwiches and soup at the bar, along with what the bar does best, internet, great staff--young and friendly--and many hostelers to hang with. It's bran-new. Everything's very chic, smooth lines, not many colors other than white, and funky art work on the wall, one titled "Stag Beetle Never Feels Alone," another "Pig in Fog." And they're very geometrical; you can make out the animal but where they detect the feelings or the fog is anyone's guess. (Did you know in British English you put the period outside qoutations, inside in American English). I'm staying in a ten person room, 9 roommates coming and going through the night. But it's not too bad, and mostly everyone is respectful. Two Brits, however, were the exception. My first night I woke to what I thought were a girl and a guy brit about to...you know. I keep hearing this, "no, really love, get down (they're in the top bunk) and grab the condom, please, really..." At first I was dimly aware of them in the room, but as I came to I realized she wasn't saying "condom" but "ipod". That was a relief. They continued talking, though, and the girl had the most annoying accent, very high pitched and nasaly, southern England I think. I have this theory: in London, they have the Hugh Grant accent; as you travel north, it becomes more and more Shaun Connery; but as you go south, that's where the drum-bleeding winy accent calls home.
Everyone here says its the best hostel they've ever been to. So that's where I'm staying. Still looking for an apartment. Not much luck so far.

4 Comments:
Sounds like you've found a great hostel. It will be nice to stay in one place and attempt to learn the language there. Have you got the Czech alphabet down (how to pronounce it)?
By
D. Howard, at 12:04 PM
I know that z sounds like j, and the carrot, tilda I think we called it in spanish, lessens the stress on vowels. But I haven't yet dedicated myself to learning the language, though I have bought a dictionary. James told me to not stress over it; it will slowly soak in.
By
Garrett, at 2:59 AM
Sounds like alls going well! Except the apt...you'd have more money for absinthe if you would get an apt....although, after 1 too many of those, you might be safer in a large group huddled close together in order to lean on each other to make it back to the hostel...a collective effort. :) If you can't lean on your friends, who can you lean on?
Love,
H.
By
Anonymous, at 6:50 AM
Hey, check your email...
By
Anonymous, at 6:50 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home